This past week, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in Washington announced the launch of the Center for Compassionate Innovation (CCI), which will explore emerging therapies that may enhance Veterans’ physical and mental well-being. They will also explore any safe and ethical innovation intended to improve Veterans’ overall health.
Our new Veterans Affairs Secretary, Dr. David Shulkin talked about supporting veterans who are unsuccessful with conventional treatment.
He said his focus is on restoring the trust of veterans through system-wide accountability by
- Improving access to care and increasing access to services.
- Eliminate the barriers of waste and abuse and evaluate prevention strategies.
- Support the development of new treatments for preventive strategies.
- Make sure that all employees work hard and are committed to serving our Veterans.
He said the initiative will include:
- The VA Partnership with the Department of Health and Human Services
- Bringing in the leading thinkers from the private sector
- State Veterans Nursing Homes construction design of these facilities will be by state
- Allow thousands of researchers access to this unprecedented data resource over time in a secure environment